LADYSMITH – New Democrat MLA Doug Routley says that provincial funding for arts organizations and people working in the arts will help the local sector continue to recover from the economic impacts of the pandemic.
“Our region has an impressive range of artists who we’re pleased to be supporting with this grant funding,” said Doug Routley, MLA for Nanaimo-North Cowichan. “When we provide support like this to artists, our community’s creativity can continue to flourish.”
In North Cowichan and on Gabriola Island, the following projects are receiving funding, for a total of over $440,000
• Arts Council of Ladysmith and District $25,000
• Gabriola Arts Council $3,700
• The Other Guise Theatre Society $250,000
• Arts Council of Ladysmith and District $23,682
• Chemainus Theatre Festival $86,339
• Chemainus Valley Cultural Arts Society $11,582
• Gabriola Arts Council $39,786
The funding is distributed through the BC Arts Council and will provide a total of $34.5 million to arts and culture organizations throughout B.C. Grants will help support infrastructure projects and address rising costs for organizations who have been impacted by a loss of audiences, reduced profits, and increased expenses since the pandemic.
Learn More: https://news.gov.bc.ca/28659
Funding backgrounder: https://www.bcartscouncil.ca/funding/recipients/