NANAIMO – New Democrat MLA Sheila Malcolmson is welcoming $300,770 in funding for 8 not-for-profit organizations in Nanaimo. The organizations, which provide environmental and public safety services, are receiving funds through the Community Gaming Grants program.
“We are so grateful to have a robust set of environmental and public safety services here in Nanaimo,” said Malcolmson, the MLA for Nanaimo. “This investment will do a lot of good in our community.”
The recipients of the community grant funding are:
- Coast Emergency Communications Association: $16,470
- Decourcy Island Community Association: $44,000
- Georgia Strait Alliance: $95,000
- Morrell Sanctuary Society for Environmental Education: $9,500
- Nanaimo & Area Land Trust Society: $40,000
- Nanaimo Marine Rescue Society: $55,800
- Nanaimo Region John Howard Society: $27,500
- Nanaimo Science and Sustainability Society: $12,500
In 2019-20, the Province is providing approximately $4.6 million to more than 135 organizations in the environment sector. Environmental programming gives British Columbians the opportunity to learn about and connect with nature. The grants also support wildlife rehabilitation programs and shelters for animals.
The Province is also providing approximately $5.6 million to nearly 125 organizations in the public safety sector. Through public safety programs, non-profit organizations provide emergency and lifesaving services including search and rescue activities, volunteer fire departments, emergency preparedness, and community and restorative justice for people across the province.
The Community Gaming Grants program provides up to $140 million to about 5,000 not-for-profit organizations in British Columbia each year.
Learn More: https://news.gov.bc.ca/21195