STIKINE – New Democrat MLA Nathan Cullen says that double the funding for B.C.’s newest economic diversification program will enable municipalities, First Nations and not-for-profit organizations to complete more projects in rural communities, including the Gitanmaax Band Council.
“Our government is funding key projects throughout the North that will boost our economy and open up new opportunities for people in our communities.” said Nathan Cullen, MLA for Stikine. “Local governments, Indigenous communities and many other organizations are receiving funding for projects that will create new jobs, diversify our economy, and make life better for people.”
Stikine is receiving $1,028,296.00 as part of the Rural Economic Diversification and Infrastructure Program (REDIP) to promote economic diversification, clean economy opportunities and infrastructure development in rural B.C.
The projects include:
- Gitanmaax Tourism Recovery – $100,000.00
- District of Stewart Trails Master Plan – $100,000.00
- Witset First Nation Natural Resource Management Pilot Project – $100,000.00
- Hagwilget Historic Village Re-creation – $80,000.00
- Hazelton Trail Society’s Glen Mountain Trails Enhancement Project – $74,128.00
- Sik-E-Dakh Quarry Feasibility – $64,000.00
- Wilp Gamlakyeltxw Economic Development Plan – $63,200.00
- Anspayaxw Developments Ltd/Kispiox Band Council’s Economic Development Governance Strategy – $50,000.00
- Town of Smithers Economic Development Diversification Project – $120,000.00
- TRTFN 198 1st & Discovery Mixed Use Commercial-Residential Building Development – $100,000.00
- Cycle 16 Multi-Use Path – Phase 3 Detailed Design – $97,148.00
- Smithers Mountain Bike Association Master Plan – $79,820.00
The New Democrat government is investing $66 million this year to support over 200 local, rural projects. Building resilient economies is part of the Province’s work through the StrongerBC Economic Plan to build a strong and sustainable economy through clean and inclusive growth.
Learn More: https://news.gov.bc.ca/28526