VICTORIA – Veteran New Democrat MLA Jagrup Brar has been acclaimed as the new chair of the BC New Democrat Government Caucus.
Brar, who was first elected in 2004 and was re-elected in 2005, 2009, 2017 and 2020, will begin serving in this leadership role at the end of the fall legislative sitting.
“I am honoured to play a leadership role in a caucus, under Premier John Horgan, that reflects the diversity of our beautiful province and works hard every day to make life better for all people,” said Brar. “As we are still dealing with the impact of COVID-19, we are working to ensure that you and your family are at the centre of our pandemic recovery.”
“I would like to thank MLA Bob D’Eith for doing an excellent job as the BC New Democrat Government Caucus Chair in 2021.”
Maple Ridge-Mission MLA Bob D’Eith served as the chair in 2021, did not run for the position again, and is focusing on his role as MLA, Parliamentary Secretary for Arts and Film, and as a member of British Columbia’s Treasury Board.
Other caucus executive members remain unchanged and include:
- John Horgan (Langford-Juan De Fuca), Premier
- Niki Sharma (Vancouver-Hastings), Deputy Caucus Chair
- Mike Farnworth (Port Coquitlam), House Leader
- Lisa Beare (Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows), Deputy House Leader
- Garry Begg (Surrey-Guildford), Government Whip
- Michele Babchuk (North Island), Deputy Government Whip
- Aman Singh (Richmond-Queensborough), Caucus Committee Chair
- Pam Alexis (Abbotsford-Mission), Caucus Committee Chair
Quick facts on the diversity of the New Democrat Government Caucus can be found here: https://bcndpcaucus.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2021/11/BC-NDP-Caucus-Quick-Facts-For-Release.pdf