VICTORIA – Local MLAs Carole James, Rob Fleming and Mitzi Dean are welcoming $939,548 through the province’s BC Arts Council Grant Program for community projects that will create new programs that encourage more inclusivity and accessibility in the creative sector, including those that support emerging Indigenous artists.
Budget 2019 announced an additional $15 million over the next three years to the BC Arts Council, bringing its annual budget to $34 million in 2019-20.
In addition to new programs, this investment will also enable the Council to further build on the funding increase provided in 2018 to enhance the capacity of arts and culture organizations in more than 200 communities.
“The creative sector in Greater Victoria will benefit greatly from these grants. Encouraging creativity and cultural exchange is key to a happy and healthy community.” – Mitzi Dean, MLA for Esquimalt-Metchosin.
“The arts should be accessible for everyone and these grants help support artists of all backgrounds to get their work seen. This investment is good for Victoria and I’m excited to see the projects that come out of this funding.” – MLA Carole James for Victoria-Beacon Hill.
“Everyone benefits when we invest in the arts and make film, books, and visual arts become more accessible. Congratulations to all of the recipients – I can’t wait to see your work.” – Rob Fleming, MLA for Victoria-Swan Lake.
Recipients across Greater Victoria benefiting from this latest round of grants include:
- British Columbia Museums Association – $81,697
- Assembly of British Columbia Arts Councils (Arts BC) – $68,400
- Orca Book Publishers Ltd – $85,366
- Touchwood Editions Ltd – $45,767
- Rocky Mountain Books Ltd – $39,998
- Heritage House Publishing Company Ltd – $37,112
- Cinevic Society of Independent Filmmakers – $21,430
- Independent Media Producers Network Soc (MediaNet) – $25,190
- Victoria Independent Film & Video Festival – $20,000
- Intrepid Theatre Company Society – $74,970
- Victoria Jazz Society – $30,680
- Open Space Arts Society – $56,640
- Art Gallery of Greater Victoria – $319,000
- Victoria Arts Council – $24,000
- Township Community Arts Council – $9,298